Kentucky Derby day and a MeMoRiE

Today is Kentucky Derby day. For most of you that is just another Saturday but for Lynn it is a Saturday that holds a lot of happy memories. Growing up Lynn was really close to his Grandpa Waldo (Olsen). He helped grandpa do all sorts of things but Kentucky Derby day - well, that was garden planting day...every year...rain, snow, or sunshine the garden was planted. But they had to work the garden into watching the race. For most of our married life Kentucky Derby day has been garden planting day. Today was no different. Because of our recent move we don't have a garden spot but in wanting to be obedient to the counsel of the prophet to grow a garden we got some pots...filled them with dirt and planted some tomatoes...



and some beets...


That will be the size of the garden this year until we figure out the sun pattern and the water pattern in our yard - and until we decide if we will loose those to the deer or not. That is a story for another post.

So the garden got planted and then in comes Lynn to watch the Kentucky Derby race. I was back sewing and heard him rustling around. He was in the kitchen and called to me, "Grandpa always gave me ice cream during the race so I have to have some ice cream." I just smiled and was so grateful for the happy memories Lynn has of his grandpa and the things they used to do together. And I was grateful that there was some ice cream in the freezer.

2 comments:

That is a really fun memory! I bet your kids love those memories, how many of them have Kentucky Derby Day at their house? We have tomatoes also, hopefully they survive the heat!

May 6, 2008 at 3:41 PM  

What a sweet memory, thank you for sharing Grandpa Waldo with me too. I am now sitting here at work with a well full of tears. I miss you dearly.

May 8, 2008 at 8:25 AM  

Newer Post Older Post Home