I've been struggling as of late with my Seminary calling. I teach the Freshman so they are 14 and 15 years old. It seems as though since Christmas they have been naughty – won't be quiet – won't participate – want treats all the time – look at the clock to make sure I'm not going over by even a minute. I have a few that are wonderful however. If it was just them we would have a great discussion every day! But add the rest into the mix and it makes for many days of extreme frustration. Last week in particular was hard. I left Seminary more than I didn't in tears wondering what I am doing wrong and why the spirit doesn't seem to testify! I have prayed and pondered and talked to Lynn and prayed and pondered some more. My thoughts were that I'm just expecting more from them than they are physically, mentally, emotionally, spiritually able to give. So I should lower my expectations. But somehow deep inside of me that doesn't feel right. The prophet has said we need to raise the bar not lower it. So now I'm pondering again what it might be – Spring fever maybe? Struggles at home? School? Early mornings? All of the above? Maybe it has been too long since I was in the 9th grade to remember what my brain did and didn't do. I am so excited about the things I am discovering in the New Testament. Maybe this calling isn't for these freshman – maybe it is for me, but then isn't my responsibility to help them learn and grow? And are they learning and growing and I'm just not seeing it? I have one boy that must be drawing or doing something with his hands – ALL THE TIME. He said to me this morning as I tried to take his paper away – "But I am listening. I listen better when I draw". So what do I do? He is quiet when he is drawing. He gives better answers. So is he really listening? I feel so passionate about arming these guys with all the power they need to fight the evil in this world. Am I just being too hard on myself? Are they getting it? Are they moving closer to Heavenly Father just by being in Seminary at 7:00 in the morning? Are they feeling the spirit and being spoken to by the spirit? I love them. I worry about them. I pray for them. Please Heavenly Father, help them be strong and have courage!

Christy said...
You know you are WONDERFUL! I wish i were in that class :) I have those same struggles and questions with my young women. I know they are listening and processing the best that their adolescent minds can. They are being crazy - because it is spring fever for sure. Take one day and give them a down time day...get on the floor with them and get to know each one of them by a game or something??
The most important thing that they can learn from you right now is that you love them. That you really do care for them and that you have a testimony of Jesus Christ that they can lean on if they need to.
I had NO idea about the gospel and its principles when i was that age...I just knew that people within the church loved me and expected me to be my best and so that is what I tried to do...and look at me now---I am AMAZING :) haha! J/K (*snort!) but I do have my own testimony and I do understand the gospel and I do love the Lord with ALL my heart. You have a HUGE...HUGE part in that.
Just don't be so hard on yourself and keep loving them and praying for them. They will remember those things.
March 18, 2009 at 11:42 AM
andreyandjami said...
My sister put it the best, "just don't be so hard on yourself and keep loving them and praying for them, they will remember those things."
That is so true. Look at it this way if they didn't want to be there they would still be in bed! They obviously feel the spirit because they are sacrificing sleep by getting up early to be there and partaking in the strength of the spirit you have!
It wasn't to long ago I was at that stage and I remember it was such an escape from the pressure of being a teenager in high school, just feeling the spirit was all that I could handle some days.
So, just keep praying for them and show them you are there if they need someone.
March 18, 2009 at 1:55 PM
Nick and Brent said...
Hi Rozla! I'm sure you are doing a wonderful job teaching, it really is a little bit of everything this time of year---spring fever especially. Keep praying for them and for ways to reach them. The funny thing with that age is they are probably getting more out of the lessons than you realize.
A couple suggestions: Keep letting the one boy doodle. Some kids honestly focus better this way, and are actually paying attention and listening. Just make sure he's not writing notes or drawing pictures or distracting others. I would let him know before or after class one day that you're ok with him doodling, under these conditions, and that he still has to participate. If he doesn't do his part, then ask him to put it away.
This age group is some of the hardest to teach, because of their immaturity and trying to find out who they are and where they fit in. I've learned to focus on the individual, recognize them for their accomplishments outside of school, and joke around with them when appropriate. Separate kids who won't stop talking, and make treats for special occasions only...make them earn it, or bring their own for their birthdays.
Anyway, that's just my two cents. Ok, more like five cents. Good luck!
March 18, 2009 at 3:48 PM
Lori said...
I can completely identify with you on this one. First, Kevin actually does listen better if his hands are busy. No lie. As long as your student is quiet...let him draw. That is the easy fixer. The rest of the advice I have is just keep on trying. I am in the same boat. At least you have some good students. I had 3 students at the start of the year. 2 (due to family issues) quit coming. That leaves me with my own daughter who is a reluctant student at best. I just keep hoping (as I'm sure my seminary teachers did) that something is sinking in. I turned out OK. I just have to have faith that my student will to. You are exactly who they need right now. Keep trying...
March 19, 2009 at 6:40 AM
Mrs. B said...
I am positive that you are doing an amazing job. But here is a bit of teacherly advice.
First, move the kid who draws in the back corner. He won't bug you from back there, and if he is really listening, he won't bother anyone else either. (This is an actual teacher trick.)
Second, don't measure your success by how they act in class. Kids will be kids. They just will be. Find the true measure of their learning and your success in the way the Spirit tells you to. Third, love them unconditionally-- always. Some good things come from that: They will trust you and love you back, and they will want to do well for you.
Be happy and don't stress out. They are like wild animals and they can sense it. (The fear I mean)
Love ya!
March 22, 2009 at 12:29 AM