Gratitude

I've been in Utah with my folks for the week. Mom is doing better. She had a setback with her heart but is doing better now and is active in the rehab portion of her recovery.

I've been staying with my dad and have been thinking all morning as I prepare to leave him for a couple of weeks about how grateful he is. My dad is an amazing guy. It's really hard to see how this parkinsons is taking over his whole being and taking away from me the dad I grew up with. But there are still glimpes of him every now and again. Yesterday when we were home together he would smile at me and say something tender and I was grateful. All morning I have been reminded over and over about just being grateful and I am learning again from my dad how to be grateful. There is nothing we do for him, pleasant or unpleasant that he does not say "THANK YOU". For example - when I put his oxygen on him at night, which is so dreadful for him, and then tuck him into bed he says thank you... When I help him get to the bathroom he says thank you. When I give him his nasty liquid medicine for his bowels he says thank you. When I tell him what time it is and show him where the clock is he says thank you. When I give him his meals and then take away his tray he says thank you.

The most unpleasant things in life that he endures he thanks us for helping him endure them. Every time I say "You're welcome", I am filled with such overwhelming love for him and his gratitude. His quality of life stinks BIG TIME and yet he is still grateful!

Thanks daddy for helping me remember to be thankful for the little things in life! I love you....

1 comments:

Glad to hear they are doing better. We do all need to remember to be more thankful for all the small things in life. We all take so much for granted. I loved the reminder.

May 27, 2008 at 3:26 PM  

Newer Post Older Post Home