I should be in bed. It is late but Lynn is up talking to his sister on Facebook so I thought I'd write some of my feelings tonight.
My dad turned 85 on Thursday. He is an amazing man. This ugly disease of his is slowly taking him away from me and I don't like it. He has Parkinsons. Not a fun disease but my dad takes it without complaint.
He has been under Hospice care for quite a few months now. My mom has him at home. She tries so hard to keep him there but it is getting so hard for her. He is loosing his ability to walk. He now sleeps in a hospital bed that is in their bedroom because it is impossible now for the aids that come to help to get him out of their bed. My mom fought that one for a long time. Now I think she is used to it. They stuggle together at night to get him into bed and positioned so that he is comfortable. She cannot lift him and he cannot move himself very well so it is definitely a struggle. But she persists. Angels help her! The Lord strengths her!
Part of the hospice package is Respite care. That means that they will pay for my dad to go someplace so that my mom can have a few days off. She hasn't wanted to do this - she feels so strongly the responsibility to care for him herself. But a few weeks ago we told her that we (the 7 of us children) felt like maybe it was time to put Daddy in a nursing home for a short period of time to give her a chance to rest and regroup. My little brother is in training with a Nursing home group in Utah. He will eventually have his own nursing home that he will administrate. Any way, we were going to put Daddy in Bradlee's facility in SLC until he discovered that he had to go out of town for a couple of weeks. So he found one that belongs to his group that is in Ogden. On Friday, my mom and brother and sister took him to this nursing home in Ogden and got him all settled in. Mom stayed with him for the majority of the day - then my SIL took her home.
It was so hard for mom to leave him there! But she knows this is the right thing to do for now. He will be there until Tuesday. Then I'm not sure what will happen. It is just getting so hard for mom to care for him and it is too expensive to have him stay at the nursing home full time. They don't have that kind of money.
I know the Lord has a plan. We just have to continue to have faith that it will all work out somehow. My heart was hurting so much on Friday. I kept calling mom to make sure she was okay. I have a hard time finding the words to describe how I'm feeling about the whole thing. I see and hear the longing in mom's voice to just have him back like he used to be. But I also see the peace that has come to her since we had a family fast for them a couple of months ago. I sensed the increased peace in her the very evening of the fast. I don't know if she has recognized it or not but I am so grateful that I know it has happened for her. She has come to terms with everything happening I think. She is more just more calm. I'm so grateful for that tender mercy.
But still my heart cries when I think of my dad having to endure this. He is my hero. I love him so much. I have been born of goodly parents. I have memories of special times spent with my dad. I have pictures of him with my grandbabies. I have copies of blessings he gave me. I have a name that he made especially for me! I have knowledge of his testimony - not that I heard it too many times but I saw it every day of his life. I have seen him bear this illness with strength and with gratitude for everything we do for him. I pray that I can endure to the end like my dad is doing. He loves my mom with a pure love. He is an example of everything good in this world. Oh how blessed I am and how grateful I am to be his daughter.
I love you Daddy!

Kathy said...
You are truly an inspiration to those around you. Your testimony always reminds me that I need to express mine more, especially to my family and friends. Thank You Rozla. God Bless you and your family as you walk this path with your Father.
September 27, 2009 at 11:55 AM
Lori said...
My heart hurts for you. It is so hard to watch a parent suffer. Your Dad must be so proud of the family he and your Mom raised. You are such a great example. What a legacy to have. Hang in there.
September 28, 2009 at 6:01 AM
Kim said...
Oh my Rozla, words can not tell you how I am feeling for you right now, I understand some what how your heart is feeling. I am so so so sorry! I am proud of you and what an amazing person you are! I am sure you know your father loves you more then he will ever be able to express with words! One thing I wish I had done with my mom that I will share with you, tell him how grateful you are to have had him as a father tell him you love him every chance you get, tell him all the wonderful things you remember and appreaciate that he has done for you! I love you call if you need me!
September 28, 2009 at 9:04 AM
Mrs. B said...
Rozzie, I am so sorry for you and the things you are being asked to do right now. It is so hard to see your parents suffer, isn't it? It must also be hard to be so far away and not able to help as much. I do know that your prayers ARE heard and answered. That is what you can do, in fact, even if you were closer, it might still be all you can do.
I think your parents are blessed to have you as their daughter.
Love ya bunches, I will remember you and your parents in my prayers.
October 1, 2009 at 11:51 AM
Annie said...
Rozla--thanks for these comments. I have meant to comment for a few days. I love to hear your testimony. It gives me such strength. Dads are so special---
October 1, 2009 at 8:56 PM
Terry Pack said...
k so i had to get up and get a tissue!!! i did not realize ur daddy was getting up in age that much! I still remember sitting on his lap just talking to him, we did not see them much but he was always a man i looked up to! I cry to know that ur mom wants him home with her and wants to be with him all the time... i wish my mom was more like that, i fear that my mom just does not care much of the time( i know she does but it is hard to see it) my dad has been sick, very sick sence my baby was born(7 months now) and it takes all we have to get her to go into town to see him... he was home for a few months and here last week he got sick again and he is in the University of Utah hospital and i hope and pray he comes home soon but i too cry to see him the way he is.. and i to carish the pics and momenet that he has had with my kids, and i pray everyday that he is ok, and to make it threw everyday just so that my baby girl gets to know her papa! i dont know what gods plans are and if he choses to take him from me i will teach my kids about him so that they know what and how great of a man he is and was... I wish your family well and I hope ur dad is doing good in the nursing home that will be very helpfull for your mom! what a great Aunt she is, I have always loved her... my sister make me laugh and say I am alot like her in the way I do things, I dont really know her much but they tell me lots.... k so know that i am really crying and need way more tissue I better be done! It was nice checking out your page.. I too have a blog so i am adding u and u should check mine out someday!!! my family is boring and they dont blog, my best friend here got me started and i am kinda hooked! (just need more time)
October 22, 2009 at 2:37 PM