What's in a name?

I don't usually wake up in the morning with thoughts in my head but this morning in the wake up stage I had this thought going around in my mind. Why now, after so many years am I thinking about my name compared to my sisters names I don't know. I have 3 sisters. 2 older and 1 younger. I was thinking about how all three of them, in either their first or middle name carry on a family name in one form or another. Then there is me. Neither my first or middle name reflect a family name. I am in NO WAY complaining because I love my name. I wouldn't change it or give it up for anything.

So this is what I was thinking about it. I was a very unexpected baby. My older sister was only about 6 weeks to 2 months old when my mom found out she was pregnant with me. So I think my parents were in a state of shock the entire pregnancy. When it came time to name me, (back then you didn't know until the birth day what the baby was), I think they had to scramble to think of a name. So my dad put some letters together and my name was born! I've always been really proud to say when asked where I got my name from that my dad made it for me. I love that no one else has my name - neither the pronunciation or the spelling. I guess that truly makes me unique!

I was talking to my daughter about it this morning. She and I share the same middle name. But I was telling her that I was wondering if generations down the line my name will be remembered and still be around or will it be in history somewhere with no one having a clue even how to pronounce it. Because I love my name so much I would love for it to continue into the generations - but not in some other family - in my family. It is kinda a hard name to pair with other names but maybe someday a perfect pair of names will be found and my name will continue into the generations! Thanks Daddy for giving me my name!

4 comments:

At least your name is creative...my name came from a cheerleaders jacket in Texas - I think that is why i HATE cheerleaders so bad :) - and I have never really liked my name. Maybe I should stick to my middle name??? Naaaaah - then i would have the same as your husband - AHHHHH :)ha ha! Anyway, I love your name - it makes you who you are - creative and FUN!

Ben's dad just emailed about the different names that we carry throughout our lives - it was really interesting how he put everything - I just may have to forward that on to you...if I remember :) Sure love you!

February 6, 2008 at 11:19 AM  

My name is unique enough, but easily spelled/pronounced, and so I'm grateful to my parents for naming me Cheryl. But I have no middle name (which, surprisingly, is actually a multi-generational thing), and I haven't given my girls middle names.

Btw, I love your name. Everytime I hear it (not very often), it evokes amazing memories. I think I might have to do a post about you, Rozla. Seriously. :)

February 6, 2008 at 1:12 PM  

I don't think my name has any significance in our ancestry, but I am sure a blessed sister to have an angel "Roz" in my life!

February 6, 2008 at 3:15 PM  

Rozla, I read this blog post months ago, but I couldn't comment because I couldn't remember my blogger name! I was named after my Dad, and I have always loved having a unique Dad-inspired name. You are the only Rozla I know, though I have met a few more Ronnas over the years! Maybe one day I will be Grandma Ronna, you make it look so fun!

June 6, 2008 at 3:22 PM  

Newer Post Older Post Home