Sunday morning before church I got up and decided to read my lesson for Relief Society. The lesson we were on was on Repentance. As I was reading and pondering the subject I had the impression that I should ask Heavenly Father what I needed to repent of. I try to live a good life. I try not to commit sin and to choose the right so I really wanted to know what in my life I needed to change and improve on. So I did just that Sunday night as I went to bed. All day yesterday, over and over it came to my mind something that I need to fix in my life. The problem is that it seems like such a small thing - caffeine. I don't think that I am addicted to it but I do like to have a diet Sunkist pop sometimes, especially when I am tired and just need a little boost. I have a case of it in my pantry - a fairly new case - maybe only one or two gone out of the case. So the natural man in me said - just finish the case and then you can stop and not buy anymore. It isn't hurting anyone - it is just a little thing. But the spiritual part of me said - you asked and the Lord told you so why are you making excuses for wanting to hang on to it a little longer?
I thought about something our Stake President said at a meeting I was at on Thursday night. He talked about how the Lord will tell us things if we ask and if we open our hearts to receive His direction. He referred to a scripture in 2 Nephi about receiving line upon line and how when we receive we should alway respond. I love the passages about line upon line, precept upon precept so I've thought about that a lot over the past few days.
So I think the lesson here is: Am I going to be obedient to the seemingly LITTLE things? And when I ask the Lord, am I really ready to go forth with a more obedient spirit? It is often through the little things asked of us that we receive GREAT blessings.
When my children were young I always told them that obedience was it! Obedience is what truly brings us happiness in this life. And so, I will be obedient to this. I don't think it is about caffeine. I think it is about obedience. And I will continue to ask what needs to be done in my life on my journey to becoming more Christ like.

Cheryl said...
Dang, Rozla! Way to make me want to be more like you...
:)
I love this; it's so easy to justify our small actions based on how small they are. Thank you for this insight...
P.S. You are my Spotlight Sunday today... So, watch for it!
March 16, 2008 at 3:03 PM